Friday, October 11, 2013

Foodie Friday - Sausage 'n' Kraut Skillet

Sausage for a vegan, you ask?  Why, of course!  It's Original Field Roast Grain Meat Company Sausage!  This stuff is good.  For real.  Trust me.  It's so good, in fact that when I brought leftovers of this dish in to work, my co-worker, Sprout proposed to me!  Twice!  And we're both straight!  Magical stuff, this is.

I bought the Smoked Apple Sage Sausage and used it in this recipe.  I was able to find it at my local health food store and rumor has it you can also find it at Wegmans.  You should be able to find it as well or look at their website using the link above to find a store near you.  Here's the recipe; perfect for those autumn apples!





Sausage 'n' Kraut Skillet

2 Tbl. shortening (I used olive oil)
1/4 C. diced onion
1/4 C. diced pepper (I omitted this as I cannot eat cooked green peppers)
3 C. sauerkraut
1 C. diced apples
1 pkg of four Original Field Roast Grain Meat Company Smoked Apple Sage Sausage, sliced into rounds

Melt shortening in a large heavy saucepan.  Add onion and green pepper and saute for 5 minutes.  Add sauerkraut and diced apples.  Cover and cook over low heat until the apples are almost soft (about 20 minutes).

Meanwhile, put a little olive oil in a pan and saute sausage until browned.  Top hot sauerkraut mixture with sausage and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment