Saturday, October 12, 2013

Field Trip - A Visit with the Nutritionist Part 1

Originally, I was going to use a link and identify the nutritionist I'm seeing but I changed my mind for the reasons I will explain below.  

My partner, Dr. D. arranged for me to see this nutritionist.  He's been seeing him for the past 4 months and has had amazing results.  He has lost 20 pounds and is in the best health of his life.  Since we discuss food, health and nutrition often, Dr. D. thought it would be interesting to compare notes.  I agreed for a couple of reasons:
  • We both feel we're on a "food journey" together even if we're on different paths (he's still an omnivore).
  • I need help navigating through my new vegan way of living and need tips on balancing my busy lifestyle with good nutrition.
  • I want to be able to keep up with Dr. D.

Back to the reason I'm not identifying the nutritionist.  The jury is still out on whether or not he's going to understand and support my diet.  My first visit went something like this:


I see you're vegan.

Yes.

So do you eat eggs or dairy?

No...

Chicken?

No.  No animal products.


What I wanted to say to him was, "what part of 'I'm vegan' do you not understand?!"  But I behaved myself remembering Dr. D. told me to go easy on him.

He did a complete applied kinesiology analysis or what he referred to as "nutritional response testing".  This involved me lying down and having him test my response to the resistance of my outstretched arm against his hand while his other hand was placed on various organs.  This may sound nutty but I've had very good luck with electronic acupuncture in the past which is very similar and I never discount something simply because I don't understand it.

His analysis revealed my liver is not functioning at its full potential.  Big surprise there!  I half expected it to be waving a white flag at him.  We'll discuss ways to help it function better at my next appointment which may be my last if he tells me I have to give up my beloved wine.

I'm required to keep a food journal and have my second appointment next week.  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment