I will admit it took some time to peel and chop the squash but I think it was worth it. I did see some pre-peeled and chopped butternut squash in the produce section this week which would greatly help the next time I make this.
|Just look at that creamy deliciousness!|
Cream of Squash Soup
2 large butternut squashes (~14 cups)*
4 medium onions, chopped coarsely (~6 cups)
Water to almost cover squash (~2 quarts)
1 Tbs. sea salt
4-6 Tbs. brown rice syrup (optional but I used 1 Tbs and it was plenty)
1/2 bunch of parsley (optional)
- Peel squash, cut in half, remove seeds and chop into large 2-3" cubes.
- Water saute onions in an 8-quart pot for 4-5 minutes; add squash, water and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer; cover and cook until squash is soft, about 20-25 minutes.
- Carefully puree hot squash in a blender using just enough liquid to blend, possibly not using all the liquid (I used none of the liquid). A slightly thick creamy texture is preferred.
- Add brown rice syrup, if needed.
- Garnish with parsley.
*I used one large and one medium and still needed to use half of another medium squash. Mother Nature is never very consistent in how she allows vegetables to grow.