Saturday, November 9, 2013

Why I Love Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

I have become a huge fan of Colleen Patrick-Goudreau since becoming vegan.  Okay, huge fan is an understatement.  You may want to call it a girl crush.

Colleen Patrick-Goudreau has a way of bringing information about veganism to many people in a kind, non-judgmental, caring way that is very rare.  She is the author of several books including The Vegan TableVegan's Daily Companion, and The Joy of Vegan Baking.  

She also wrote the book and then developed the online version of The 30-Day Vegan Challenge which makes changing to this new lifestyle so easy to understand.  It's the best $20 you'll ever spend!

I listen to Colleen's Food for Thought podcast every single day on my way in to work and on my way home.  Since I just recently discovered it, I am listening to old episodes that are still as relevant as the day they were recorded.  Her style has an energy that is contagious.

I will have the privilege of seeing Colleen at the Albany VegFest next weekend and feel like I'm about to meet a true celebrity.  Dr. D. and I will be attending the Speaker's Recognition dinner the night before and I hope to have at least a couple of minutes with her to tell her what an amazing impact she has had on my life as a new vegan.  I share with you now:

The Top 10 Reasons Why I Think Colleen Patrick-Goudreau is the 
Ultimate Rock Star of the Vegan World

#1  She's gorgeous.  Duh.



#2  She's a joyful vegan.

Part of Colleen's messagewear
available on her website.

#3  We both love pigs and not in a bacon-y kind of way.

Colleen with a pig

Me with a pig

#4  She says things like this:




#5  And this:




#6  She is incredibly well-read and frequently references famous authors like this in her podcasts:


Michel de Montaigne
Michel de Montaigne
In this episode, I’m thrilled to share with you a very special person named Michele de Montaigne, who lived from 1533 to 1592. He was a writer, philosopher, and inventor of the essay as a proper literary genre. In his aptly titled “Essays,” he shares his thoughts – while referencing historical figures, philosophical thinkers, and poets – in order to work out his thoughts about the way to world worked and our place in it.Significantly for our purposes, he was one of the early post-Classical thinkers who challenged some fundamental aspects of Western thought, particularly the idea that we’re superior to other animals. 

#7  She confesses to not being gluten-free but is "gluten-ful".


Mmmmm!  Vegan pizza!
Photo courtesy of this very cool blog!

#8  She loves cows and not in a prime ribby kind of way.


Colleen with a cow.

Me with a cow


#9  She's been referred to as The Vegan Martha Stewart.  I say this reluctantly because Martha is not exactly known for her compassion but I am very glad there is someone in the vegan world who is leading the way in elegant entertaining and gracious living.


Martha

Colleen.  Sorry.  No comparison.

And finally....


#10  She is teaching me that it's about progress, not perfection.  I have learned from her how to say things in a way that does not offend those with whom I am interacting.  Colleen is teaching me how to talk to hunters, omnivores, friends and family in a way that does not judge but compassionately and gently educates and informs and most of all, inspires.  She is teaching me to be a joyful vegan.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris!
    Thank you so much for the mention! I love the photos of you with the animals. I completely agree with everything you say about Colleen, she is truly a rockstar and a force to be reckoned with!

    ReplyDelete