Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving: What We Ate

Thanksgiving centerpiece.  A gift from my beloved.

One of the most often asked questions is "what are you going to eat on Thanksgiving?!".  It's said with a tone of horror as no one could possibly understand a Thanksgiving without eating a turkey.

Maybe it's just me but the turkey has never been the center of my foodie dreams even when I was an omnivore.  It's the sides!  The wonderful, herb filled, savory and sweet sides!

I carefully planned out the menu and asked family members to bring some items as well.  Mom brought cranberry orange relish, brussels sprouts and a vegan apple pie and my sister and brother-in-law brought roasted root vegetables and a vegan blueberry pie.

Pretty pie made by yours truly.

I had many things prepared ahead of time such as the pumpkin pie, stuffing with chestnuts, apples, pecans and raisins and the candied yams with ginger.  Preparing these items ahead of time turned out to be a godsend as I will explain later.

We had mulled wine and appetizers before the meal.  The appetizers consisted of guacamole, hummus and various crackers and chips.  I was originally going to make stuffed mushrooms but ran out of time.  My only regret is that I didn't have enough time to visit with my sweet granddaughter and my son, daughter and son-in-law.  Such is the plight of the chef!

My son a.k.a. Batdan

I put my mom on KP duty and had her peeling potatoes for mashed potatoes.  I had cooked up some caramelized onions the day before to add to the potatoes which turned out to be a delicious decision.

Right as I started to make the mushroom gravy I had a bit of a setback when my oven tripped a circuit breaker.  This has happened before but I was always able to reset it.  Not this time.

Thanks to the ingenuity of my family and Dr. D., we pulled it off using my crockpot, electric skillet (had to blow the cobwebs off that puppy) and the toaster oven.

The rolls went in the toaster oven, the sweet potatoes were heated up in the electric skillet after the gravy was done and the stuffing went into the crockpot.

Through some sort of Thanksgiving miracle, everything was finished right on time and everyone loved it!

Now I'm looking for volunteers to do dishes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment