I sometimes add 1/4 tsp. almond extract and 1/2 cup of dried cherries or other dried fruit to the batter for a change of pace.
This great recipe adapted from one in The Happy Herbivore Cookbook.
1/4 c. non-dairy milk
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
4-5 spotted or browning bananas
1/2 C. dark brown sugar
1/2 C. raw sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 C. whole wheat flour (I've used white flour with good results)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a standard 8-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Whisk the milk and lemon juice together until bubbly and set aside.
- Cream bananas with sugars using a hand mixer until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk spices, flour, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- Add milk-lemon juice, and banana mixture as well as all remaining ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour into loaf pan, using a spatula to evenly distribute and smooth out the top.
- Make a tent over the pan with a large piece of foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes 12 servings.
Spread a little Earth Balance on top of that warm goodness and enjoy!!