Friday, March 14, 2014

Foodie Friday and an explanation

I've been MIA for a while.  Things have gotten pretty busy here in our little corner of the world.  Dr. D. and I are getting married at the end of June and I've already started moving things into his house which has made my flat look like I should be expecting FEMA to show up at any time.  Fewer meals are being cooked in the Born Again Vegan kitchen and my time is spent doing more dodging boxes and less writing.  I'm also in the process of moving this blog to a WordPress site.  It will have a new name and I hope more capabilities than Blogspot.

As far as our nuptials go, we don't plan to have a big wedding.  We just want a small ceremony before taking off for the jungles of Belize.  There is a restaurant there called Gomier's where the Rastafarian owner makes his own tofu and vegan options abound.  We can't wait to try that!  I'm also hoping to score an interview with this colorful Belizean for this blog.  

We are planning on having a post-wedding party sometime this summer.  All the food will be vegan and this will be a celebration like no other!  Details to follow.

Nevertheless, now is a perfect time to have a recipe for vegan fast food!  I got home at 8:30 last night after a board meeting and was happy to know I could throw together this delicious salad in minutes.  No one wants to go to bed with a heavy meal in their belly so this was the perfect solution.  The fact that the recipe calls for capers, those wonderful salty orbs of deliciousness, only made me love it more.  The colored notes belong to me.  Enjoy!


Vegan Caesar Salad
Author: 
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1 romaine lettuce head
  • ½ cup small capers
  • 3 slices whole wheat bread cut into small square croutons (I used vegan ready-made croutons)
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 cup avocado (about 1 1/2)
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice (I used lime juice)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup fresh water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. Toss croutons with 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil. Lay croutons in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake until brown and crisp. Watch carefully – should take about 5-10 minutes.
  2. Blend avocado, lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, water, cayenne, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy.
  3. Wash and drain romaine leaves. Slice into bit-size pieces and place in salad bowl. Toss lettuce with capers, croutons and dressing. (you might not need all that dressing) Divide into 4 servings and sprinkle with ground pine nuts if desired.






No comments:

Post a Comment