Friday, December 6, 2013

Foodie Friday! Vegetable Pot Pie

I have a confession.  I have not tried this recipe yet.  Or I should say I haven't tried this form of it yet.  Ya'll are witnessing an experiment of sorts.

When I was an omnivore, one of my family's favorite dishes was my chicken pot pie.  I started thinking about how easily this could be made vegan and will try it this weekend.  Here's the recipe with my anticipated changes.



Photo courtesy of Google Images


Vegetable Pot Pie

Crust:

1 ready-made vegan pie crust (you can find these at Wegmans)

Filling:

1/3 C. Earth Balance
1/3 C. chopped onion
1 C. sliced mushrooms
1/3 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 C. vegetable broth
2/3 C. non-dairy milk
3 C. frozen vegetables, thawed

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Prepare pie crusts as directed on package for two-crust pie using a 9" pie plate.

2.  Melt Earth Balance over medium heat in a medium saucepan.  Add onions and mushrooms and cook until tender.  Add flour, salt and pepper; stir until well blended.  Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.

3.  Add mixed vegetables; mix well.  Remove from heat.  Spoon mixture into crust lined pan.  Top with second crust; seal edges and flute.  Cut slits in several places on top crust.

4.  Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Yup. If you had it available ... tear up some Beyond Meat ... mmmmm. Chicken. Pot. Pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't found a local source for Beyond Meat.

      Delete